According to the U.S. Fire Administration (Division of U.S. Department of Homeland Security), clothes dryers were involved in an estimated 15,600 U.S. structure fires, fifteen deaths, 400 injuries, and $99 million in direct property damage, annually.
"Failure to clean" is the leading factor contributing to clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
A quick look behind just about any dryer can be illuminating. In most cases, the flexible duct (transition hose) is going to have multiple bends. In situations that can be very dangerous, the exhaust hose can be crushed against the wall. Add lost socks, an empty fabric softener box, and a considerable accumulation of lint dust, and this very real fire hazard becomes obvious.
All this is before looking inside the wall or at the exhaust system’s outside termination. Inside the wall, long duct runs with many elbows increase the rate of lint accumulation in the duct and in the dryer itself. Inefficient dryer vent terminations that are all too common also contribute to the problem.
DRYER VENT CLEANING
There are two major reasons why you should clean your dryer vents:
- 1) to prevent fires that start from buildups of highly flammable lint in your dryer vent ducts and
- 2) to lower your energy costs due to inefficient dryers that are clogged up with lint.
Save Money and Have Peace Of Mind
Dryer vent cleaning is a commonly overlooked maintenance, however it is a significant procedure that can save money and increase well-being. Dryer vents draw in the hot air produced by your dryer and expel it outside your home. Dryer vents very easily become dirty. When not maintained properly, dryer vents can become a hazard.
Most people fail to notice when the dryer vent gradually becomes clogged with lint. If lint has built up in the vent, air flow is compromised and the trapped hot air in the vent could potentially start a fire. In fact, clogged dryer vents are a leading cause of house fires. A clean dryer vent keeps drying time shorter, which keeps your energy bill low. A clean dryer vent also prevents moisture from staying in your home, preventing mold or mildew buildup.